Monday, August 20, 2007

Freaking HBO...

In an extremely odd and cruel twist of fate, HBO decided to air 'The Champ' tonight. I haven't seen this movie in over fifteen years. . I remember watching this movie with my sister and a couple of our close family friends way back in the day. Not ONE dry eye was left in the room by the final scene... I challenge ANYONE to watch this movie and remain dry eyed... It's impossible. I'm not just saying this because of my last post either.

For anyone who thinks I might be making this up, PLEASE check HBO listings. I'm on the East Coast, and 'The Champ' aired on HBOF (HBO Family) from 11:5o PM - 1:55 AM.

The Champ tells the story of Billy Flynn (A 'so-young-he's-barely-recognizable' Jon Voight), an ex boxing champion who struggles to make a boxing come-back while fighting to keep custody of his son TJ (A remarkably cute and adorable 6 or 7 year old Ricky Schroeder).

In truth, I haven't thought about this movie in years, and I'm honestly stunned that HBO dug it out of their archives to air it. That little boy did an AMAZING job in that movie... I look at Ricky Schroeder today and marvel at the skills he possessed at that young an age. WHO can watch that movie and stay dry eyed? .. wow.

The Champ is single handedly THE most emotionally stirring movie I have ever seen in my entire life.. And that's saying A LOT. It has the exact same effect on me today as it did all those years ago, maybe even more now as a mom. If the director of that movie was looking to create a tear jerking masterpiece, OH MY GOD did he ever succeed!! I think it's safe to say he directed the greatest tear jerker of all time.

That last scene is just cruel.. I can't think of any other word for it... It literally wrenches my heart apart. It just does. If anybody sees this movie and manages not to cry during that last scene, I have a $20 bill with your name on it... It's not a lot of money, but if I didn't need it, I'd wager my next paycheck on it as well... That's how confident I am that you'll be wiping your eyes as the credits roll... For the heck of it, I went online to see what other random viewers said about the movie, and to further prove my point, I've cut and paste some of the viewer reviews... These are regular people (not critics) who just go online and leave comments about movies... some of the grammar isn't perfect, but I think you'll get the point.



THE BEST OF THE BEST
by meokmba (movies profile) Mar 25, 2006

I THINK THIS IS THE BEST FILM I EVER SEEN, THE ACTORS WERE OUTSTANDING, THIS FILM MARKED MY LIFE FOREVER & THE FINAL WITH THE KID CRYING BROKE MY HEART, WONDERFUL FILM.

A Knockout of an Ending
by gatorspirit14 (movies profile) Apr 21, 2006

A heart-warming story about a boy who worships his father, and a father who loves his son so much that he will do anything for him, even if it means losing him. I don't want to ruin the ending for anyone, but this movie has one of the saddest scenes I have ever seen in film.


GREAT Movie!!
by nedra_wright (movies profile) Jan 31, 2005

My family and I saw this movie for the first time on 1/30/05 and found it to be one of the greatest movies ever. It's a real tear jerker. Two thumbs up!!

Nedra


The Champ
by leeanne1007 (movies profile) Feb 15, 2005

The champ was a excellent film for all the family cried my eyes out watching it a must see film i seen this film for the first time on 20/12/04 one of the best i've seen in years.

THE CHAMP OF ALL MOVIES
by j_2308 (movies profile) Jan 3, 2007

A beautiful movie! It's a great movie that makes me cry all the time. Just shows how much TJ loved his dad-his forever champ. You just have to see it. You'll never see a movie like it.


I rest my case.

I shouldn't have watched this movie tonight. I'm going to wake up with a splitting headache in the morning... *sigh*

5 comments:

Idemili said...

I bet I can watch it without crying. How will you send me the money?

monie said...

Idemili, if you're serious, I'll take you up on this.. I swear... It's IMPOSSIBLE woman!!!!

Seriously though, if you want to do this, email me, and we'll set it up. I'm THAT confident.

Like I said, it's not a lot of money, but if you don't shed one tear, I will mail you twenty dollars!.. lol How much is that in Euro? Next to nothing, I know... Still though; Are we doing this? *Throws up random gang signs and strikes cool pose*

Anonymous said...

Ah, there is at least one movie that you may find even more lachrymose. Have you seen Radio Flyer? Let me know if you haven't, and I will buy shares in Kimberly-Clark (makers of Kleenex) in anticipation of your reaction to the movie; I am not one to miss a good investment opportunity . . .

Ejura said...

Seems there's business going on here. Me too I want 20 dollars!
Truth is I know i'd cry. Champ had me drowning in my tears once and I know it still will.
"Champ wake up...wake up, wake him up, champ, champ,champ..."
Kai, oyibo man the act oh!

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i wonder if its on HBO on demand!! im going to find it.