Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Midnight Ramble...

I read today that NBC Universal will be paying $925 million for Oxygen Media. For some bizarre reason this struck me as hilarious, and I spent the next five to seven minutes laughing so hard I was panting for breath when I was done...

The thought of Oprah Winfrey getting 'even' richer struck me at the moment, as the funniest thing I'd heard in a really long time. Yes she's only part owner, but you know she's still making bank with this acquisition.

What must that be like? Really... To be that wealthy. Not only that, but to be as respected and powerful as she is. As I sit here writing this, I can't even fathom what that must feel like. To log into any one of your online accounts to view balances with numbers that would be followed with (at the very, VERY least) five zeroes.

When you think about going clothes shopping, it never crosses your mind to "just head to the mall"... lol... (Can you imagine that? Oprah at the mall?.lol.. Yeah, I'm cracking up too). Grocery shopping or laundry are 'mundanes' that you just never do. Ever. I mean, I fail to see what possible scenario could play out in the life of Oprah that'd have her heading to the supermarket or downstairs to the basement to "throw a load in"...

Can you possibly imagine being so wealthy that the issues you deal with in regards to going on a luxury vacation usually have to do with what part of the world you'd like to take it in?

I'm sitting in my tiny two bedroom apartment writing this. I look around and I take in the television in the corner, the movies neatly shelved on the rack against the wall... My desk that I got at Target last summer on sale for $14.99... My tiny loveseat that I hate, but can't throw out till I get a replacement... The paintings on the wall... My camera on the ledge...I hear the rain outside through my open living room window...The TV's muted so it's quiet..I take a deep breath, shut my eyes, and dare to imagine...

*sigh*... If only for one day, I would LOVE to know that feeling. I would love to be so rich that when you ever have issues that concern or worry you, regardless of time, location or situation, it is NEVER about money.

People say money doesn't buy happiness... I agree. I get it. But you know what? I'm sitting right now at 2:32am and when I list all the issues that have kept me up this late, every single one of them has to with some kind of money situation. All of them. The thoughts go through my head constantly... you know? Like those News scrolls that run at the bottom of the screen on the News Stations....

"I have to remember to make the car payment.......Shit, I forgot to call the gas company about the budget plan......*sigh*... That's another $110 for 'The boys & Girls Club' payment........I have to put gas in the car tomorrow... I hope $20 lasts me a while this time.....I should write that note to myself about picking up some milk tomorrow.....Ok.. I got the student loans done for this month.... If we're going to have family night on Friday and order a pizza, we can't eat out tomorrow...Wait, did I put the $3.00 I spent at DD down on the budget sheet?..."

And it goes on and on and on and on. I'm aware that the more money a person has, the more problems they get. Yes, we're all aware. Biggie made that crystal. Experience, Books, Tales of Woe. Yeah, I get it. My practical, sensible side gets it. Try as I might to block it out though, I still hear that tiny voice of discontent as it whispers in my ear. "Still though....." I count my very many blessings; I'm healthy, my son's healthy, my family's healthy. "Still though...." I I remind myself that a lot of people would be thankful to have some things I do. "Still though...." I do a mental check of all the recent good things that I have to be grateful for, and in a desperate attempt to jolt the common sense back into me, I list them in chronological order. From the earliest to the most recent. "Still though....". Screw.

You know what? I'd really like that feeling for just one day. To have a day when money literally is no object. It'd be nice. Complete unequivocal freedom.

.... lol.. What's that saying? "If wishes were horses, beggers would ride"... Yes? lol.. Still though...

I'm going to bed.

PS: On a completely random note, I have to say that each time I hear this song "I feel like I'm dying" by Lil Wayne (It's playing on this page), I wonder just how messed up - or 'what' he was messed up on when he wrote it. No? There is NO way those words were strung together in that order by a lucid mind. Absolutely no way. lol... That's the end result of a WHOOOLE different kind of freedom... lol.

:-)

8 comments:

Idemili said...

Great post Monie. I have missed your various many insightful (rain-filled) posts.

I too will like to know it feels like, for one day. However, what happens when one gets back to one's life? How does one cope with the mundane, which up until then was considered normal? Bearable, even enjoyable?

How's the boy?

monie said...

Idemili. You want to hear something weird? You were the very last thought to pass through my mind last night before I fell asleep. I was thinking about how I should check out some blogs again, and I thought "I need to check out Idemili's blog... See how she's doing".. lol.

Hey, thanks for the comment. I know exactly what you mean. Realistically speaking, I think it would be the very worst kind of torture to experience something like that, and then have to return to normalcy after one day. I think even the strongest minds would balk at that.. no?

It was 2:30 am, I was hardly 'there'... It sounded like the best idea in the world at the time.

The boy? lol. He's well.Thanks for asking. Kid started first grade and all of a sudden, he doesn't want to be hugged or kissed in front of his friends anymore. Go figure, huh? Now we're getting ready for Halloween and his seventh birthday next month... *sigh*.. I tell ya, it never ends.

Anonymous said...

Forget the money Monie, this post is priceless! Please, blog more often, even if only for my amusement.

Andrew F. Alalade said...

Heeeeeeeeeeey Monie, the post was spot-on!!! Hit me on a raw spot, been thinking so much of money recently. Extend my greetings to "The Child".

Tutsy said...

first let me say i'm so feeling the Colbie joint u have playing...that's my sh##t...lol...u got great taste in music gurl!!!

Now to the "koko" of the matter,... would have to admit i totally understand where u are coming from......sometimes i wonder what i'll do if i had Oprah's loot....probably piss it all off on clothes and shoes...lol...but on the real though, it would be nice if we all didn't have to worry about money....As per folks saying money can't buy happiness....i've always replied....whoever said money can't buy hapiness...didn't know where to shop...lol.. Money would sure as hell make me happy...but then again I'm shallow like that...lol

Anywayz, great post gurl..loving ur blog!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Monie,
The Naija Bloggers Party has been fixed
Date: Saturday, 5th Jan
Time: 4pm
Venue: No 10, 14 Saka Tinubu Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Anon bloggers are welcome, no need to reveal who you are. Holla at me here if you need more information. Please accept my apologies for the (very) short notice.

Anonymous said...

hey girl!how are you!long time..holla ok?

Drew Lombardi said...

Monie this is my inaugural comment on your blog! Well after reading your rant, I have to say, like it or not, the necessity of money is never going away. We have to either be willing to make peace with what we have or spend our lives trying to achieve more of it; those are the only two options (well, starve and die is one too, but I doubt anyone wants to go that route). I know you know all this but I just wanted to confirm it so you know you're not going crazy. I put up my Obama concession, if you want to check it out. Peace Monie...my girlfriend's getting mad that I've been on the computer this whole time so I have to go entertain her. Send people my way!