Sunday, April 29, 2007

All Alone...

My uncle died on Friday... He was 52 years old. Being that he was unmarried with no kids, he died all by himself in his house, and was only discovered when his alarmed house keeper had his front door broken down because he wouldn't respond to her calls. Apparently, she could see him lying on his couch in front of the TV...

His death left my mom the only surviving member of her immediate family. In the past four years my mom has lost her father and all three of her brothers... She's had to stand in front of four different open coffins, and stare at the corpses of the people she's called 'family' for all her life. All of them died unexpected deaths too... Except my grandfather, I guess... He lived a very full, fulfilled life... Didn't make his death any less painful though, you know?

What must that be like, I wonder? Knowing that you're the last surviving member of your family? Don't get me wrong; My other two uncles had children... two girls and a boy, and my mom has my sister and I... Still though, it's not the same...

I don't know... Its been a weird, emotional weekend for me... Ups and downs galore, and I just had to write something about this...

2 comments:

Idemili said...

God. I wonder how your mother felt. I cannot imagine. She should take heart.

monie said...

Thank you jare... Much appreciated...