Tuesday, May 8, 2007

So... Do you believe in Soul Mates...?

... Like, meeting someone who you just KNOW you're supposed to be with?"

This was a question posed to me by some random dude at Walmart earlier today. Apparently, he was interested in me, so he figured he'd throw that ridiculously corny (not to mention overused) line at me to appeal to my 'inner' sentimental/fairy tale loving side that every female seems to have... Unfortunately for him, I wasn't really in that kind of mood at all... I was hungry, tired, and just wanted to get home before 'How I met your mother' came on...

Dude and his crappy ass lines aside, I did get thinking about the whole 'soul mate' think on the ride home... Actually, since I'm writing about it right now, its safe to say its still on my mind... yes? I digress...

The term 'Soul Mate' has been defined by the dictionary as 'a person with whom one has a strong affinity.' ... Another related concept is that of the twin flame or twin soul – thought to be the ultimate soul mate, the one and only other half of one's soul, for which all souls are driven to find and join.

Of those two definitions, even though its safe to say that the first is the most practical or plausible, most people tend to look to the second connotation as a guide to either choosing their partners or dictating their relationships... I'm 28 years old (29 in ten days, YAY!), and depending on what I'm going through in life (or with whom), my perspective(s) of that term have shifted and changed consistently...

I had plans to write up this really long post about this topic, but somethings come up, so I'm only going to say this now:

Every relationship, regardless of the many shared similarities/affinities of the couple(s), needs work. Lots of work. If you have something special that you know deep inside you is worth preserving, do all you can to preserve it... You'll know when you're with 'that' person... You just will... When you are, do what (ALL) you have to do to remain with him/her, and never take him/her for granted... That is singlehandedly one of THE worst things you could do...

This is corny as all hell, but remember that to get a thing of value or worth, you have to put in the work.... We're told that the process of shaping a rough diamond/rock into a polished gemstone is both an art and a science. Same with relationships... You know...?

Think about it; Even with modern techniques, the cutting and polishing of a diamond crystal always results in a dramatic loss of weight; rarely is it less than 50% .. Along the way, you guys will lose and miss things that might seem (at that very moment) to be extremely important to each individual...They're just baggage though.. you know?... Baggage that would be worth nothing if you didn't have that other person in your life... Learning and even utilizing corny sounding words like compromise... negotiation... accommodation...mutual respect though, you'll end up with a finished product that's so valuable, solid, and pretty much unbreakable, that all your little (and big) battles you fought to get where you are would seem so... inconsequential...

You both (it HAS to be a team effort) do all of that and put in the necessary work, its safe to say your longevity possibilities will be endless... constantly growing, constantly evolving.. that kind of thing.

I have to go now... I'd really like to sit here, and write for a couple of more hours, but like I said, something's come up that has prevented that...'Sides, if I did do that, I wouldn't be practicing what I'm preaching now, would I?.. :=)

Quick Notes:

1. To my girl: Keep your head up chick... You guys will be fine... I promise. You 'know' I was thinking about you when I wrote this, right...? lol.. Let him keep the freaking chair... Trust me, it's NOT that big a deal!! Oh, for the love of God, PLEASE throw that damned book out!!! Not only is not 'NOT' helping things, it's just crap and you know it!..

In COMPLETELY unrelated news,

2. I saw a movie last night that I fell in love with... If you're out there and you happen to be a movie person, you should definitely rent this... It's an independent movie, so you'll probably only recognize a couple of faces... Still though, its great... Check out the trailer... :=)






Dito



Antonio



Laurie




This is just a random scene from the movie.... If you're planning to rent it, you should maybe not watch this... I'm posting this 'just because'....

No comments: